Wednesday, July 29, 2009

First trip to Nauvoo

Since my parents took time to drive us all the way out to Iowa, 17 1/2 hours, we thought that we should do something fun with them before they left. We stopped in Omaha for a night on the way out and visited Winter Quarters. It was fun to see one of the old church historic sites. We walked through the visitor center and Caleb and Makayla put on pioneer hats and Makayla pulled a wagon isn't she so strong!


After my parents helped us unload and unpack a little in our new place we took off to visit Nauvoo. My dad and I had never been there before, but Caleb and my mom had. On the way down we stopped at Carthage Jail. I have grown to love the Prophet Joseph Smith and all he did for this great church so this was an important stop for me.
First picture Makayla, Caleb, and I in front of Carthage Jail. Second picture is of Makayla in front of the statue of Joseph and Hyrum Smith. She seriously stood there for 5 minutes saying "Cheese" over and over so that we could take her picture. She probably would have stayed there longer if we hadn't made her move!



After our stop at Carthage Jail we went on to Nauvoo. We spent 2 1/2 days there and had so much fun. Here are some pictures so show what we did while we were there.

We stopped at the visitor center and walked around the gardens. They were beautiful! I had to take a picture of my baby in the middle of them! These two are my favorite people in the whole world.

We saw the Nauvoo pageant and it was fantastic! I have never felt the spirit so strong! Before it started they have pioneer games and stuff to do. We pulled Makayla in a wagon boy did she love that. Then she played this game where she tried to knock over these pins with a ball. She loved this game.




Makayla did amazingly well during the show. She had her popcorn and she was happy as could be.






We also took Makayla on an Oxen ride. It was fun to hear her say "wee wee wee". She also got to touch the Oxen, but not with me. I was too scared to go near them so Grandpa held her and let her go close to them.




Makayla also enjoyed an ice cream cone for the first time. In this picture I was teaching her how to lick an ice cream cone.





Our little family in front of the Mississippi River. It is a huge river!
We had a lot of fun in Nauvoo and are excited that we live so close to it. Hopefully it can be a reason people will come and visit us. All are welcome!
Now I am all caught up, just in time for my first trip home to Utah. I will eventually get some pictures up of Iowa and what we are doing here.

2 comments:

Becky said...

Nauvoo is so amazing! What an awesome blessing to have you guys in our ward! We love Nauvoo and the kids love going down there!

andybrookebarker said...

Wow! Amazing! I am so jealous! I wanna come visit! What a blast!